Friday, April 17, 2009

Pesto Crusted Tofu with Cheese

I absolutely love pesto. Its so simple to make and so tasty. In my family, I'm the only who has acquired the liking for it. They find the basil flavor too overwhelming. In my opinion they're missing a lot, but on the other hand it's a good thing that they don't like it -- more pesto for me!

Looking for ways to bring more excitement to the subtle flavor of tofu, I decided to experiment and combine the two; the boldness of pesto and the mildness of tofu. It's an East-meets-West recipe, and I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I was expecting a strong herb flavor but the tofu subdued the intensity. The cheese brought the flavors together with just the right amount of salt and creamy texture.

Ingrdients:
tofu, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slabs
pesto sauce
grated or sliced quick-melt cheese

Procedure:
1. Marinate the tofu in the pesto sauce for 5 minutes.
2. Heat pan and place tofu with some of the pesto sauce coating it.
3. Pan fry one side of the tofu for 2-3 minutes.
4. Flip it to fry the the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
5. While still frying the other side, place cheese on top and let it soften a bit or completely melt based on your preference.
6. Remove from heat and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your blog so much.. it inspires me to cook.. seems like your good at cooking :) keep it up!

-just an avid reader of your blogs..

Chi said...

thank you for the comments! i really appreciate it. hope you like them.

im surprised people read my stuff, funny reaction, i know.

thank you again!