Thursday, April 23, 2009

Chowking Congee and Siomai

Hail to the king of Chinese fast food! With over 400 branches all over the Philipines, and outlets abroad, Chowking undoubtedly reigns in its niche.

The place serves breakfast sets, rice meals, noodle dishes and snacks round the clock. The other day I had a craving for Hong Kong style congee and dimsum for breakfast. Though there were much nearer breakfast alternatives, I walked roughly 2 blocks to satisfy my craving.

There are a couple of variants for their congee and the main difference would be with the toppings. I ordered the classic or "plain" which already has bits of meat and century egg mixed into the porridge. Fried wanton wrappers and chopped spring onions on top add color and crunch. I like it best when drizzled with a mixture of light soy sauce and philippine lemon (calamansi).

Classic Congee - P39

As for the dimsum -- pork siomai, I've sampled better than this. The filling was bland and had an almost rubbery consistency. Thanks to the chili paste served, it added kick and flavor.

Pork Siomai - P39
Chowking
various locations

No comments: