Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kani Maki

Craving for Japanese food during the wee hours of the morning, when all decent restos I know are already/still closed, made me do the unexpected.

I made my own maki.

I've heard from a TV chef before that it's best to always have a pack of kani at home. You'll be prepared when the need for a quick snack arises, and there are so many possibilities with what you can make -- salads, sandwiches, tempura or simply eat it by itself. That was one of the best advices I've picked from the tube.

You might be asking yourself "what is maki?" and "what is kani?". You've probably seen these words in Japanese restaurant menus but have never bothered to find out what these translate to. If you still haven't Googled it by now, let me add to your knowledge of basic Japanese dining vocabulary:

maki - roll
kani - crab meat (sticks)
kani + maki =
crab meat roll
nori - dried thin seaweed sheets
sushi - vinegared rice

It is interesting to note that outside of Japan, some people refer to or understand sushi as the raw fish or seafood. Truth is, the sliced raw fish or seafood is called sashimi.

I took out the makisu (bamboo rolling mat) from its hiding place and cracked my knuckles. With the kani out of the chiller, I was ready to roll.

Procedure:
1. Lay the makisu on a flat surface.
2. Lay a sheet of nori on the makisu.
3. Mix cooked rice with a solution of vinegar, sugar and salt to make the sushi.

4. Spread the sushi on the nori sheet.
5. Place the kani (and other desired filling) on top.
6. Roll tightly.
7. Slice roll into 6-8 pieces.

Click here for a detailed, step-by-step instruction on how to make your own maki.

Itadakimasu!

No comments: