Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cafe Bola Kamias Shake

Kamias or Bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi) is a common backyard plant in the Philippines that bears sour -- make that acidic, cylindrical fruit in bunches. Back in my childhood, me and my friends would pick the fruits from the tree and eat it with rock salt as a snack. We would laugh at each other's funny sour faces and our teeth would feel funny afterwards because of the acidity. I think that's how I developed my fondness for anything sour. Just thinking about fresh kamias already makes my mouth water!

I have mentioned in a previous post that kamias can be used to make sinigang. Another popular use for it would be as a relish/salsa for fried fish. Just chop it and mix with cooked bagoong (shimp paste) and its ready, tomatoes and onions are optional.

I never thought that kamias could also be used for beverages. In Cafe Bola, kamias shake is served and I have friends who have been raving about it. I was a bit skeptical about it at first, thinking that it's too sour to be made into a shake but I gave in to my curiosity and tried it during my recent visit to the cafe.


Wow! My friends were right all along. The drink was refreshing and not just because it was served cold, but more so because it was a familiar flavor that I never expected to taste from a drink. My tastebuds were tickled with delight by the play of sour, sweet and a hint of saltiness of the beverage. I found a new fave and bid goodbye to the usual soda or boring iced tea.

Cafe Bola
2/F Greenbelt 3
Ayala Center, Makati City

No comments: